Saturday 12 April 2008

EOTech 552.A65 Weapon Sight Review

This holographic sight works by projecting a red sighting reticle on its optical glass. It's been said that the act of proper target acquisition is much faster and effective with a good holographic sight system.

One of the first things I was drawn to was the metal cover around the optical section of the sight. It's thick and made of what looks to be a very robust metal. The PR folks aren't lying when they say this sight is designed to survive in battlefield conditions.

The control buttons on the rear of the unit are rubberized and easy to operate. I was able to fully access the controls with relative ease even while wearing my favorite pair of shooting gloves. To prevent fogging, the optics are filled with nitrogen.

The electronics section is encased with epoxy. This gives the unit some excellent shock protection. While I've haven't dropped this unit, I know people have used these units in less than ideal conditions and they can attest to the build quality of these EOTechs.

The unit I tested uses AA batteries. This a nice change from the weird batteries sight manufacturers in the past have forced us to use. According to the specs of the manufacturer, the AA units should provide up to 500 hours of use.

Now for the meat of the article, how's the sight picture? In a word, great! I've never had a chance to use a sight that was so bright and wide open. I hate iron sights. The act of constantly focusing on the target, as well as the front and rear sight with both eyes for an extended period always gave me a headache.

Using the 552.A65 at a local outdoor range with my AR, it made target acquisition very easy. After making the proper adjustments with a bore sighter, I was hitting the metal targets with ease. Even in the bright sunlight of midday, I was able to clearly see the sighting reticle against light brown dirt that surrounded the range. The day went like this: I placed the red sighting reticle on the metal target, squeezed the trigger...bing!

Most testing was at ranges from 25 yards, all the way out to about 100 yards. Several hundred rounds later, I was able to pack my gear and head on home with no headache.

Other than the price, I don't have any complaints in regards to the EOTech 552.A65. And I'm really stretching when I'm complaining about the price. As with almost anything in life, if you want quality, you have to pay for it. In the interest of keeping this review fair, I tried to look for anything bad about this EOTech. But in the end, I can't really find anything bad to say.

If you're tired of iron sights or want a good alternative to an Aimpoint or ACOG, I strongly recommend checking out the EOTech units. They're well-built and their design gives the user a noticeable advantage over regular iron sights.

No comments: