Thursday 1 May 2008

Utah Outdoor Adventure

I come from the East. Being raised in Massachusetts makes me a newcomer to Utah, but since arriving, I've certainly made up for lost time. Sure, the trees aren't so plentiful and the landscape isn't quite as green, but boy, does Utah have mountains.

The mountains were probably the biggest draw for me to come to the state. I'd read about Moab, Zion National Park, Canyonlands, etc. and couldn't wait to see them in person. The sheer immensity and number of ranges is staggering. My favorite hobbies all involve the mountains in some form or another. My fist love was mountain biking. Now that I've been spoiled by Moab's slickrock, I don't know if I can ever find full satisfaction anywhere else. My second love is hiking. With all the natural beauty in its national parks, Utah is a haven for hikers. Try Zion's hike, "the Narrows" for a exhilarating time. My third love is skiing. As every skier knows, the natural geography of Utah's big and little Cottonwood Canyons provide some of the best snow on earth.

I might not be the most traveled, but I do know that if you're looking for a Utah Outdoor adventure, you need look only as far as the closest mountain.

No comments: